I believe in the saying,

Allyson - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in the saying, “This, too, shall pass.”

Many people have heard this saying multiple times but most of us tend to forget the meaning of it. There have been times in my life where I felt nothing could get worse; where everything I did was a failure. But the thing I did wrong was forgetting that life moves on.

This past summer my family was struggling to keep itself together. We were suffering financially and emotionally. Me, being the oldest in my family, thought that I should be strong and help my parents and as much as possible. But as time went on, I felt that the burden was becoming heavier and heavier as our economy was falling apart.

My sister and I were worried about my mom working two jobs alone. We go to her room to comfort her finding herself with tears in her eyes. My sister went to give her a hug and my mom just told us, “This, too, shall pass.”

This saying reminded me of all the troubles I have gone through and it made me realize that I moved on and there are more important things to focus on.

In a book, Familiar Quotations by John Bartlett, it states “It is said an Eastern monarch once changed Abraham Lincoln’s wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words “And this, too, shall pass away.” on September 30, 1859.”

How many of the people on this planet feel like there have been times where giving up was the only option? I’m sure almost 90% of the world’s population has. We live in a society and community where we feel like everyone is expecting so much from us. We get overwhelmed from all the demands we put on ourselves.

Eventually we work ourselves so hard and we make decisions that we cannot change. We end up regretting those decisions and dread on the coming circumstances. But after you have taken a fall; whether it be a small trip or a jump into a massive state of fear-we can easily get back up and learn from our wrong doing and learn from it. We are able to hop back on our two feet and keep walking with our heads held high.

Life moves on. A lot of the time I feel like some things are the hardest situations I have ever had to deal with, but I forget that there is always a tomorrow. I try to not let that one day from making me forget about the new, next day that comes.

I believe that whatever we learn today, will help us become stronger for tomorrow. The things we learn are foundations for who we become later in life. It might be in 50 years or it might be in five minutes. We will never know unless we keep walking forward.

I understand it’s easier said than done, but we all, including myself, need to think positively and not allow small situations to keep us on the ground. We can lift ourselves back up and pursue what we really want. Life gets better and to be able to be living with a hard working family, have the incredible, strong friends and go to a well built and amazing school I do; I am aware that life could be much worse. But every time we are feeling disparity or a lack of strength, I repeat to myself, “This, too, shall pass away.”

I want people to have faith, hope and courage to keep their heads high and to keep walking forward.