This I Believe: Friendship

Robin - Fort Worth, Texas

I believe in friendship. Not the “Hey, what’s up?” type of friendship. I’m talking about the “Hey friend! (Followed by a bear hug) What’s really going on in your life right now?”, type of friendship. I’m talking about the friendship that is so deep that you could trust your life in their hands. The friendship that is grounded in much more than celebrities, fashion, and gossip. Rather, its foundation is in God, trust, and love.

Growing up in California, I struggled with friends. Sure there were many fun times, but then they would plan things behind my back and not include me or speak badly of me for no reason. I remember the days I would come home crying because my so-called “best friend” called me an awful name or didn’t invite me to her festivities with the rest the night before. Why did I stay so loyal? It’s because friendship meant more to me. It was so much more than finding out who was dating who or who had the coolest shoes; it was more than a competition to me. It was especially hard for me to have these unloyal friends when I knew I had true friends that lived halfway across the country.

When I was nine years old, I went to a Christian summer camp in Arkansas for the first time. What keeps me going back each year isn’t the lake, sports, and activities, it’s the people and lifelong friendships that are made. Each year we go to camp with the same goals: to grow in our faith, make new friends, and be loved. We are put in a cabin with other girls who are completely different, but more or less seeking the same things. We go to each other without judgment. No one cares where you’ve been, what you’ve done, but we care about where you are going. Here is where I have made some of my best lifelong friends.

People are scared to get close and open up. People want to hide their secrets, put away their past, and only share what is on the forefront. Most people drift through life with a million “friends” around them, but yet, are lonely. Being a friend is much more than asking “what’s up?’. It is seeking your friend out and digging in their heart and truly knowing how they are doing in every aspect of their life. Friendship is more than just on the surface; it is taking the time to really get to know someone.

What is more important than friendship you ask? God, sure. Family, money, education? Not so much. Yes, family is important, I agree to that. But sometimes we can’t talk to our family about every little aspect in our lives simply just because they are our family. Proverbs 18:24 says, “A friend of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother”. I would much rather have one friend that cares the world about me and would do anything for me, than a million “friends” that just care enough to ask “what’s up?” Life is too short to go through life surrounded by people, but still be lonely. I believe true friendship is what carries me through the chaos.