People Through Traveling

Josie - Salt Lake City, Utah

People Through Traveling

I believe in traveling.

I’m sure that is an odd statement coming from someone who has only gone on two big trips in her life. Well, let’s just say that I’m a prime example of only having to try something once to become addicted.

My first big trip was to Washington D.C. with my eighth grade class. We spent five days straight viewing all the major monuments and museums. I had never been to a place like that in my life; a place where everything you see has immense significance and a story to tell.

My second big trip was last summer with my mom and step-dad to Europe. We were fortunate enough to spend two days in London and seven days in Rome. The whole trip was incredible, but Rome is where my addiction rose to the next level. Again, I was in a place overflowing with history and amazement. You could be walking down some back ally and there would be the stunning interior of a church hidden behind the normal brick of the street. The grandiose and new experience of it all made me feel like a little kid on her first trip to Disneyland.

Although I should have left this magnificent city satisfied with our incredible journey, I wasn’t, not even close. I left thirsty, thirsty to see more and learn more of the majestic cities in our world, and of the diverse and intriguing people that keep them running.

While in Rome, we fell in love with a tiny restaurant near our hotel, another hidden ally discovery. We asked for the same waitress every time, and became friends with her. On our last day, we tried having a conversation with her through the bit of English she knew and the bit of Spanish I knew. Although we probably spent five minutes trying to decipher each question, we laughed the entire time, not only at our poorly spoken second languages, but also at the differences in the answers to our questions.

This is the reason I want to travel. This is the type of experience I would like more of. Experiences of connecting to people and learning their ways of living so different from mine are truly enriching moments. The people of other nations can teach us countless lessons. They can leave us with enlightened ideas and unforgettable moments. They are moments that I have become addicted to, and want more and more of each day.

I believe in traveling.