Gay Marriage

Mary - grand terrace, California

Picture this. You see a man and a woman walking through the food court together holding hands, or maybe talking really close to one another, or maybe a little kiss on the cheek. No big deal right? Now picture it being two men or two women. Some people may find this wrong, but I find it beautiful. I believe that a marriage consists of a special bond of love between two people whom decide to spend the rest of their lives together.

If we were to discriminate against two people in love just because they are different, then I think most couples would be discriminated against. There are a variety of ways to be discriminated against such as, religion, race, height, IQ level, hair color or sexual preference. My parents came from two different races. My dad was born and raised in Kuwait and my mom is Irish and born and raised in Nebraska. I do not think there were any laws against them getting married. I do not think there was anyone holding up signs saying they should ban interracial marriages. It saddens me that when a homosexual couple wishes to get married for all the same reasons as a heterosexual couple, they can not because of laws.

I saw a girl walking down the hallway at school holding hands with her girlfriend. I find it so beautiful and uplifting that they can walk around being comfortable with each other and their sexuality in public knowing people could judge them. I personally know this couple. They are so full of life, loving, and caring to one another. The way they laugh, they play, they look at each other and treat each other with respect, just like any other “normal” couple. So why can’t they be looked at as “normal”? Some people say that accepting homosexual marriage will never be accepted because it will encourage people to be homosexual. That is because it is different it will be looked down upon. Divorce is legal, African Americans can marry whites, and children are being raised in a single parent home. All of these which were looked down upon in the past are now accepted and “normal”. I believe it just takes a matter of time until it will be accepted around the United States. But until then I believe that marriage is a bond between two people so deeply in love, who plan on spending the rest of their lives together whether they are black or white, short or tall, thick or thin, young or old, and even gay or straight.