This i believe

Virginia - Saucier, Mississippi
Themes: tolerance

I believe it is possible to agree to disagree. When you meet someone, either to begin a new friendship or relationship, there is always a “getting to know you stage” of the relationship. In this stage you ask and get asked the questions that you feel are important to know about someone you may want to spend your time with.

Throughout the “getting to know you stage” of my own relationship we talked for hours each day. We discussed children, previous relationships and marriages, politics, religion, just everything. I even knew what foods he likes, dislikes, and which side of the bed he preferred. We had each other all figured out and were extremely happy with everything about the other, or so we thought.

Sitting together one evening just after Thanksgiving we are discussing plans for Christmas. The conversation turns to Santa Claus. My family has always celebrated Jesus’ birthday and also enjoyed the magic of Santa Claus. While he continues to talk I learn that my future husband does not believe in telling children there is a Santa, I was crushed. The conversation led to an argument with both of us trying to make the other agree with the opposite side. After we have both said all we could think to say on the topic of Santa Claus, we are speechless. I wonder how a family tradition could not come up in the “getting to know you stage” and both of us wondering is Santa Claus really going to be a major problem in our marriage. After several days of avoiding the disagreement, we finally decided to calmly discuss the issue again only this time we know how the other feels so the element of surprise and shock was gone. Even after several hours of debating neither one of us budged on our beliefs but we did agree to disagree and we came to a way to work together so that we were both happy.

We gained much respect for one another for not backing down from what we each believe is right for us, besides that is one of the reasons I fell in love with this man. Although we both had very strong reasons why our belief could be right either one of our beliefs was right or wrong it is just a difference opinions.

I believe if we could all learn to accept people for what they believe without always forcing our views on others we would find ourselves living in a much less aggressive world.