No More Useless Classes

John - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I believe that taking general education classes at the collegiate level is not necessary. In high school you are already required to take the same type of classes in order to gain a “well rounded” education. A university is an institution you must pay money to attend in order to gain new knowledge about a specific subject. The university tells you that you must take certain classes in order to gain your degree so you can start your career. Most of the classes you are required to take have to do with you r major, but your first year of college mainly consists of general education classes. You should not have to pay to relearn general education classes that are exactly like the classes that you took in high school. I know that college is not a trade school where you only learn one particular subject, but it is still a waste of time as well as money to be paying to take classes where you already know the information. Certain classes are good to take again, in order to brush up on your skills. Some of these classes include a writing class or a simple math class. Classes such as history or biology, however are in my opinion a waste of time and money. I hate having to pay money to take a class that provides me with information that I already know of. If collegiate boards believe that you must have four years in order to obtain your degree, it should be required for you to take more classes in the concentration area that your major is in. This issue is so important to me because I am paying for college myself. After I graduate from college in hopefully four years I will have to pay back my many substantial loans to the bank. The downfall is that my first year of college that I will be paying back is for classes in which I knew the information prior to attending college. In my opinion, it is completely unfair to have to pay money back to the bank that is basically a waste. Besides the money, it is still a waste of time to sit in a college classroom and learn the same information in your general education classes that you did in your high school classes. You go to high school for four years in order to prepare you for college learning. Meaning, you are supposed to “build” on your knowledge in college. But general education classes seem to be prohibiting student from doing so. General education classes are also boring to sit through because you already know the information. In a way it kind of makes you want to skip the class because you already know the information and believe you can get by on what you know. In return, you are learning bad habits that influence the rest of your college career. Chances are if you skip your classes all the time your first year of college, you are more likely to skip your other classes that are even more necessary than the general education classes in order to learn the information for your degree concentration. As you can see, I strongly believe that collegiate general education classes are not necessary because they are a waste of both time and money.