The Ride of my Life

Cody - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: nature

I believe that being in nature us the best remedy for stress and unhappiness. Whether your activity is active or stationary, being outside can bring you peace. Walking, running, biking, hiking, riding or just sitting gets us out of our daily routine, and allows us to look at things with perspective.

Many people enjoy going with a pet, giving them time to enjoy each other and have someone they can be candid with. Being outside can be a remedy for a hectic mind, stripping away distractions; similar to meditation. Observing nature, and how the world evolves through seasons and how weather patterns evolve helps us accomplish this.

I have experienced this numerous times in my nearly eighteen years of life. The most outstanding time was when I was at the equestrian barn with my friend. I had been riding her alternate horse already for about three months. But that day the horse, Tipper, decided that she did not want to be caught from the pasture and ridden. It was a miserable and rainy winter day in the Northwest. The slope down the field was treacherous; otherwise I would have immediately gone to get her. I decided to wait and see if the horse would become curious. After sometime just sitting watching my friend ride I became irritated; how could this horse have this much power over my actions? I gathered all the courage I could as I grabbed her halter from the peg. Opening the gate with care, I took the first step into the ankle deep mud. I went over to the fence to stabilize myself. It took me around ten minutes to go down the length of the railing. During the entire time I was praying ‘don’t let me fall’ and I never did. I had a lot of time to reflect on everything, almost all at once. When I reached the bottom of the hill I was amazed, Tipper walked right up to me and stuck her nose in the halter, as if she had been waiting for me the whole time. After that long trip down the hillside I felt closer to God, as if He was waiting for me just as I was waiting for Tipper. Something was distinctly remarkable about this day. When I mounted up everything melted away: stress and anxiety disappeared. It was just Tipper, God and me in the fresh air. It was the ride of my life.