My Fathers Lesson

Kim - Sandwich, Massachusetts

I believe that everyone should live life like it was your last day and take nothing for granted.I did not learn this lesson on my own. Unforutnatly, it took one tragedy for me to learn this which changed my perspective on life forever.

On Febuary 10 2007 I was on my way from school to work, which was right down the street. My mother called me at my work which was unlike her. As she said my name her voice sounded like she had been crying so I immediatly knew something was wrong. She then proceeded to tell me that my father just had a CAT scan done and that they found a brain tumor. All I can remember is the way I felt, which was in disbelief. My body felt numb as tears came uncontrollably. They took more test and diagnosed my 57 year old father with Brain Cancer on Febuary 12th 2007.

My father went through surgery for the doctors to try and remove the tumor. The doctors took as much as they could, but said that there was nothing they could do and they he would not have much time left. During this time, my father was out of it. He could barley talk and was delusional at times. I visited him everyday and tried hard not to cry infront of him because I wanted to be strong for him. Even though he couldn’t seem to make out words, I knew he could hear what I had to say.I will always remember when he said those words we take for granted, “I love you too”, when I told him I loved him everytime I left his bedside. Three short weeks after he was diagnosed, on my 18th birthday, my father passed away from this brain tumor.

It has almost been two years since my fathers passing, but that has not made it any eaiser for me. What I do beleive is that everything must happen for a reason. No matter how hard it is, or even if it doesn’t make sence. My father taught me a lesson that no one else could ever have taught me. I believe that you should tell the ones you love that you love them everyday. You never know when they could leave you. So when you leave for school, work, vacation ,even if you leave the ones you love for a minute, tell them you love them. I believe you should never bottle up your emotions, share your true feeling with them as much as you can. I believe you should never leave the ones you love during a fight with out resolving it. In all, I believe that you should live life like it was your last and never take the ones you love for granted.

This I believe.