Second Chances

Alexandra - Centerville, Ohio

I believe in second chances. A second chance is an opportunity to start over and gain back what was once lost. It’s the gift to start fresh renew any kind of relationship

The summer before seventh grade, I moved from Maryland to Ohio and I thought it was the end of the world and the most devastating thing that could happen to me. But by eighth grade, I had my own tight little group of friends whom I did hung out with, ate lunch with and hung out at recess with. Among those girls were my two best friends. The three of us were inseparable. We had all sorts of little things we made for each other that had our initials on them, collages with pictures from all of our sleepovers, and even a secret handshake.

I was also a cheerleader and spent a lot of my time in the winter with the girls on my basketball squad. We all became pretty close and somewhere, somehow, a rumor came up that one of my best friends said something horrible about me. One of the girls on the squad assured me that it was true because she heard it first hand. I was so hurt and when I confronted her about it, she swore it wasn’t true and that she would never say anything mean about me. For some reason I didn’t believe her and just got mad at her for not telling the truth.

After that, I basically lost touch with my two best friends because I didn’t want to hang out with liars and they didn’t want to hang out with me if I wasn’t going to trust them. So I just hung out with my new friends, who I met through the girl that assured me the rumor was true, and they all turned out to be nothing but fake, stuck-up, annoying girls. I felt awful about myself and couldn’t believe I didn’t trust them after all we’d been through. I went back to them and apologized and begged for a second chance and thank goodness they gave it to me! We were all friends again and still are to this day.

I learned a lot that year about friendship and trust and I am so thankful it all worked out for me. A second chance is the best gift to give and receive. Sometimes people make mistakes but they learn from them and all they need is the opportunity to prove it.