Things happen for a reason

Megan - Muncie, Indiana

“This I Believe…” Things happen for a reason. I’m not really a religious person, so I’m not like oh god did this, god wanted things to be this way, but I do feel like there is something that lingers among us with each step we take. Whether it’s the thought of karma, I did that so that is why this is happening, or that things are just supposed to end up this way. I think about every step I take and wonder what might happen. My boyfriend will tell you I worry too much and think the worst of every situation, or the “bad” as they say. But in my mind, I just think of all the possibilities and outcomes even the bad ones. I can’t help it, it is who I am!

When I was younger I watched my grandpa be a strong independent man. He volunteered for the Red Cross and attended church every Sunday. He was the bond that held my family together. I remember the advice he always gave and how it always managed to fix the problem no matter how crazy it seemed. I believe things happen for a reason because 2 Christmases ago he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I couldn’t understand why this man who worshiped god and gave so much to those who didn’t have would have to suffer like that. I watched him slowly slip away and within 6 months he was gone. It totally changed my outlook on life with the fact that no one could help him, no one could save him. I now understand that even though he is gone everything happens for a reason and he is still watching over me with every step I take.

I feel like things have happened karma wise and also because things are just supposed to happen. When facing situations in life, the decisions I have made that turned out not exactly how I planned, I’ve learned to coupe and deal with. Life is too short to frown on the things we can’t explain. In result to my actions, maybe a drink got spilt, I tripped over the rug, or just something came back to bite me in the ass.

Sometimes I wake up and wonder well if my parents weren’t together many years ago, then I wouldn’t be here and where else would I be? I can’t imagine my life a different way, with a different family. Things happen and sometimes there just isn’t much you or anyone else can do about it. That F on that test you know you should have studied for a little bit longer and harder last night or the fact that you are 19 and pregnant. I believe things happen for a reason…