Simple Love

Ian - Barnesville, Minnesota

I believe in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

My mother was a stay at home mom until I was about five. I grew up with my two brothers: Landon, who is a year older then me, and Hans, who is three years younger then me. The only time that I remember us being around my mother was when we were either eating or hurt and crying.

Raising three boys must have been quite the experience for my mother, especially since we spoiled the house with toys and clothes on a daily routine. I remember my mother making the sandwiches while we argued about who would get the first one. I know my mother did not make anything close to a perfect sandwich, she just wanted to put some food into our mouths to stop us from bickering. She may never understand how important those sandwiches were to me.

Sitting at the table with our legs swinging, since they were too short to touch the ground, we eagerly waited. Finally, my mother handed the sandwiches and drinks over to us. We watched in awe as my mom seemed like a professional cook. She was flawless making the sandwiches: spreading the contents to all four corners, cutting the crust off for my younger brother, extra jelly for my older brother, and extra peanut butter for me. She even made the three sandwiches with lighting like speed. However, eating the sandwich was almost a slow task for us boys. The bread and peanut butter would stick to the roof of our mouths, and of course three boys with cups of juice is a mess waiting to happen. We all laughed and giggled, even my mother, at one another and the mess we made.

Now, after finding the giblets in a cooked turkey, I know that my mother is nowhere near a professional cook. I’m sure the only thing she could make when we were little were those sandwiches, grilled cheese, and anything microwaveable. Yet when I look back, I see my mother “cooking” with a smile on her face. Every time we sat down at that wood finished table, we shared our sense of humor and bonded with each other. It didn’t matter what she made, she showed her love through it while we made her day a little brighter.

Even though the Caf at St. Olaf College can cook a lot better then my mom, we still share our bond. There isn’t a week that goes by without me calling her at least once to share a laugh.

I believe children need to have a loving bond with their parent(s). A simple task like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich just the way a child likes it, can make the child glow and the feeling can be transferred over to the parent. Sharing this bond can make the relationship grow into an everlasting one.

Without my mother I would not know how simple love can be. That’s why I believe in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.