Exams

Ashleigh - Gainsville, Florida

I believe that students should be allowed to choose whether they do or do not take final exams at the end of each semester. In my opinion, if you have at least an average grade then why take the risk of lowering it. Also, why add on unnecessary stress?

If you have a C or above in a class, you should be able to choose whether or not to take your exam, especially if you have an A or a B. If you have one of these grades then you understand the class well enough to do the work to earn that grade. This policy might even make it so more people work harder to make good grades so they can have the reward of not taking the exam.

Everyone has an off day every now and then. You never know what’s going o in someone’s life at a certain time. This can really affect someone’s performance on a test. The finals are weighted so heavily (20%!) that it would be a shame to lose a grade you worked so hard to earn.

As I’ve been learning in H.O.P.E. this year, stress is a very bad thing and can lead to many types of illnesses. Why add more stress into a teenager’s life? Exams are a way to test if you know the material. But, taking into account what I said before . . . if you already have a good grade then you obviously know it.

Exams are very stressful no matter what grade you have or how well you know the subject. If you have a good grade, what’s the point?