Faith

Katie - Greenwood, Indiana

I believe in religion. Since I was young my parents have taught me to go to church and have a relationship with God. Everyone thinks that Christianity is so restrictive on day-to-day life, which isn’t true. The do’s and don’ts that I believe make life better and fuller are encouraged by the principles my religion values. For example, thinking about someone other than myself. Just wishing someone else a good day or encouraging someone who needs it can make such a lasting impression. This action makes my life fuller because at the end of the day I either made a new friend or cheered someone up.

The summer after my 8th grade year my dad cheated on my mom. My mom told me and my little sister that we were meeting my dad at the park to have a family discussion. My sister and I had no idea what was going on. He had been moving some of his things out of our house, such as his elaborate computer system, but I thought that was just something for his job. We all met and sat together at a picnic table as they announced their divorce. It was a bit of a shock and I didn’t take the news well, especially after I found out my dad cheated. I had been homeschooled during my middle school years, so I hadn’t been to a public school since I was a lot younger. I was thrown into public high school, less than a month after the divorce, with these new changes. It shouldn’t have been that hard though right? Everyone’s parents get divorced these days. But I guess that doesn’t make it any easier.

The things my dad had put my mom through left me wondering if God was anywhere to be found. I thought He would keep us together as a family, not break us apart. I felt like He shouldn’t allow painful things like this happen to anyone. However, sometimes good things come out of the bad. Because of this experience, I became so much closer to my mom and it helped me grow up. I had to learn to stand on my own, but also to ask for help when I needed it. I learned that it’s not God’s fault that bad things happen; bad things happen because people make bad choices. I had to learn to trust in God when life gets tough and not bail. This experience strengthened my belief in my religion. It made me the person I am today and I wouldn’t change what happened.