Daddy’s Little Girl

Melissa - Quincy, Massachusetts
Themes: family, love

I believe in hugs. Ask anyone that knows me and one of the first things they’ll say is that I love hugs. This probably sounds completely random, but I believe that in life it’s important to keep people close, to let them know that you love them. It’s like they say, embrace what you have now, because you never know when it might be taken from you.

My dad gives the best hugs. When I was a child and he came home from work, I’d run up to him and he’d pick me up into his warm, inviting arms and hold me close. When I was 13 and my grandfather was dying, and I’d cry, my dad was my comfort. When I graduated high school, out of all the pictures we took, my favorite one is of my dad hugging me. And when I first got accepted to Simmons College and I burst into tears, my dad threw his arms around me. He was so proud. In this crazy world where anything can happen, where inconsistency is abundant, the one constant I can rely on is hugging my dad.

One night, my dad was complaining of chest pains. My mom called the ambulance. The ambulance and fire pulled in front of my house in all of that explosive uproar of lights and sirens. I couldn’t believe this was happening. Not to my dad. Not to me. It was over in a split second. All I wanted to do, all I could think about, was not being able to hug my dad again. It was chillingly silent in the house. The ambulance sirens kept echoing in my ears. I felt sick. I closed my eyes, but the silence was deafening. I turned on the TV to distract me, and cried uncontrollably.

I arrived at the hospital not long after that and practically ran in to the crowded and bustling Emergency Room; so many unfamiliar faces, each having their own story, of which I didn’t care. They weren’t who I longed to hug, to hold me and tell me everything was okay. I wanted my dad.

He hadn’t had a heart attack. Routine testing had ruled everything out but they kept him overnight for observation. And you can guess as to the first thing I did when I walked into his hospital room. The first thing he said to me was that I couldn’t get rid of him that easily, with a smile from ear to ear.

I love my dad with all my heart. I guess my point is that no matter what I’ve gone through, the one thing I’ve always been able to count on is my dad being there when I need him. I’ve never actually realized how powerful a hug can be, but when you’re able to rely on something your whole life, and there’s a possibility that it won’t be there anymore, that one little hug can mean the world.

This, I believe.