Believing in Believing

Robert - Corinth, New York
Themes: hope

I believe. It’s as simple as that. What more can a person ask for than the faith of their own heart? Things like reassurance and proof are great and they can really help at times when it’s difficult to believe something. But I find that when you truly believe something or believe in something, you don’t need those things.

It is difficult to unwaveringly believe in anything in today’s world with so many conflicting thoughts, ideas, opinions, lifestyles, faiths, etc. But I believe that everyone can find at least one thing to believe in and hold onto it and cherish it with their very soul. It could be anything, and it could deal with anything from family to religion, from personal life to social life, from past to future. It can be absolutely anything at all. You could believe something simple, such as: You have the greatest family in the world. The truth is, for you it could be 100% true and nobody can tell you that you’re wrong. You can believe that you have lived a good, full life and that you’ve been a good person. You can believe that you are going to have your dream career down the road. You can believe that there is a God. It doesn’t matter what you believe, and you can believe more than one thing, as long as you believe in it with all your heart.

I personally feel that if a person is able to truly believe something with all their heart and there is no doubt about it in their mind, then it has to be true. No matter what it is, it has to be true because how else could they believe it so? It’s with this idea that I believe a person can make anything happen. For example, if a person believes that they will find and marry the love of their life and they know this in their heart, then it will happen. The trouble is, you cannot start to doubt yourself. You must believe it as if it has already happened and it couldn’t be any other way. It’s not easy to believe something without some kind of proof and this is where a person can become weary and start to second guess themself. Sometimes you have to be able to convince yourself of something without even knowing why.

My personal belief is that I will end up happy when I’ve finally settled down. I’ll be doing something I love in a place that I love and I’ll be with people whom I love. I don’t know any details other than these. I don’t know where I’ll be, who I’ll be with, how I’ll get there. My life feels like a mess right now, but I have faith and I believe that I will end up happy. It’s something so vague and simple, but it’s something that I hold onto that gets me through the day when nothing else can. I believe.