Lessons Learned From Mom

Jaycee - Arcadia, Missouri

Just like most teenagers my age, I never listened to anything my mom told me. I always blew her off like, “Yeah mom, I know” or “Whatever you say mom.” She was always giving me advice, but I never took any of it to heart because I thought I was old enough to take care of myself and do what I wanted. Most of everything she said went in one ear and out the other. It took me seventeen years to figure out that Mom really does know best.

My mom has always gone above and beyond to do what’s best for me. She is the typical loving and caring mother, but she is also my best friend. Sure, we have the classic mother-daughter arguments, but it never comes between our friendship. It may have taken her seventeen years, but she finally got through to me that I am who I am and I shouldn’t change that for anyone or anything. However, she did have some help from my friends.

At the beginning of my sophomore year, all of my friends started to venture out and try new things. By this time, I was getting sick and tired of listening to Mom’s speeches about being myself and not compromising what I believe in for other people. I didn’t see the point in her preaching to me all of the time. Frankly, it was getting really annoying. So, while my friends were out having fun, I was sitting at home listening to Mom rant and rave about being true to myself. At school, I sat and listened to my friends talk about how much fun they had at the parties they had been to over the weekend. They would talk about how funny it was when so and so got drunk and did this or that. I was starting to feel left out, so I went to a party.

When I first got there, it seemed fun and innocent enough. As the night went on, everyone started getting wild. Since I hadn’t been drinking, I didn’t see what all the fuss was about. All I could see was the bad decisions that everyone was making. I left the party pretty early and went back home. When I got there, Mom started in on a speech about how I should make my own decisions and not follow the crowd in order to fit in. For the first time ever, I actually listened to what my mom was talking about. It just seemed to “click” because of what I had seen at the party that night.