I Believe You Shouln’t Take Time for Granted

Breanna - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: death

Last year when I was a sophomore on March 25, 2008 my life changed. It was the most unexpected thing for me, that I didn’t think I would have to face for a long time.

I remember it was a Tuesday night when my dad came home from work he told me my grandma was in the hospital having surgery. I didn’t know anything about it, but my dad said she had mentioned something to him on the phone. The surgery wasn’t supposed to be a big procedure and that’s why she hadn’t said much about it. After he told me, my Uncle Randy came to pick up my dad, and my brother and I stayed home. Then after that all I did was think and pray for my grandma to be ok. I knew something wasn’t right when all my family had gone up to the hospital. My brother left to clear his mind but came back later that night. I knew something wasn’t right by the look on his face. He sat down with me and told me dad called him and said grandma had passed away. At first I was in shock and was thinking “No this isn’t real,” but then in one second it hit me and I couldn’t control my emotions.

The next morning when I woke up I still went to school just to try and keep my mind off the situation. After school everybody went to my grandpas to talk about organizing the funeral. That was when I found out my grandma had died from eternal bleeding. The doctors wanted to check for shin splints. It was only supposed to be a check-up, but then they wanted to do surgery on her. Before she went in for surgery she said to my grandpa, “James if I go in here I don’t think I’m going to make it.” That’s why my grandpa had decided to call the family to come to the hospital.

Losing my grandma was one of the hardest things to go through for me and my family. She was always there for me and made sure I had everything I needed. She was the one I was closest to in my family. As I grew older I seemed to think other things were more important. What I have learned from this is you shouldn’t take time you have with someone for granted. That’s what I believe.