Finding What fits

Susan - keesler AFB, Mississippi

In my opinion it is extremely difficult to believe in something until the belief has prevailed to be true. For me that belief is that being the misfit in life will help guide a person to find what fits. Some people spend their whole life trying to find where they fit, and others are lucky enough to find it at a very young age. Regardless of all factors, at some point everyone was a misfit, and that feeling of not belonging lead them to find their place in the world.

My days of being a misfit started the day I was born. On that day, I was brought into a loving, caring, and upstanding Italian family. The only thing that made me different was the color of my skin. I was born half Italian and half African American. In the early years of my life this difference was overlooked by everyone around me. I was raised with Italian values and traditions, and brought up to be just as loving and kind as the rest of my family.

The older I grew and the more of life I began to experience I soon realized how much of a misfit I really was. By the time I reached adolescents, I could tell that other people did not overlook the fact that I did not fit in. I attended a mostly white school where I looked different from all the students, but I also did not fit in with the black culture due to my Italian upbringing. I spent the rest of my school years being taunted and tormented as a result of being a misfit.

On the upside, I have never been one to let other people’s opinions hold me back from accomplishing my goals. I went on with my life; I worked, finished high school, and managed to make a few good friends along the way. But in my heart the feeling of not fitting in pushed me to leave my home, and try to find my place in the world. So I joined the military in search of somewhere that I belonged. After spending my first year in the service, I knew I was finally home. Not in the literal sense because I really have no permanent residence, but in the sense that where a person feels they belong is their home. I have a new kind of family in the service. They will never replace my family, but now l am part of one big family of misfits. So together we are not really misfits any longer.

To find where I belong took me almost twenty years and since then I have been observing others who do not seem to fit in and the ones who look to have found their place in the world. If people truly take the time to notice that about someone they will be able to see that some believe being a misfit guides a person to their fit, and others are still waiting for that truth to be prevailed.