The Power of Kindness

Adam - Southgate, Michigan

I believe in the power of kindness. Every day, much of society expects the world to perform for them and doesn’t care enough to give anything themselves. From a young age it was ingrained in me that treating others like you want to be treated, was the only way to be. My parents seemed to display this on a daily basis.

Maybe I was raised different than most, but my situation is this: I have one blood sister, her name is Caitlin, she is 20 years old, but she was born with many disabilities. She cannot walk, or talk, she is completely dependant on my family for everything from eating to getting to the bathroom. My parents, have also opened their house for another family in need, and at one point had four extra kids living under our single-family roof.

To this day we have adopted two of the four children into our family, and the others still are with us, although, one is away at college. I can honestly say from this experience in my life that I see things a little differently then average. I have been asked to take the outside view, see other people in need and not think twice about helping them.

Caitlin is nearest to my heart; she has helped me learn a lot of sacrifice. I talk to Caitlin and show her how much I care for and love her, but no matter the number of times I tell her, she will never be able to speak those words to me. We have to know, as a family, just how much she cares for and does love us. Her smiles are priceless and laughs are extremely contagious.

Caitlin has helped show me just how much bad attitudes can hurt. Sometimes shopping can be an adventure, or going out to eat can prove tough; Caitlin often cries and yells, which causes many reactions from everyone around us. People stare, give dirty looks, and whisper things under their breath. These things hurt, however, as simple as a cold shoulder or a dirty look can be to any situation, a smile can have just as powerful an effect.

For this reason, when I am in public I show each person who I come in contact with the same kindness that I would show any member of my family, or even my best friends. Everyone is different; each person deserves the respect that you would want to have bestowed upon yourself. Kindness; it will go a long way.