Hard work never has a bad day.

Casey - Malone, New York
Themes: family, work

This I believe

There are a lot of people that don’t like to work hard for something they really want. Most of the time it comes back to bite them because if your not working hard for something you want, there is always somebody that will be. My parents have taught me that if you really want something as bad as you say you do, then you will go to the absolute edge to get it. They are perfect examples of how working hard gets you what you want in the end. I believe that if you work hard for something you really want, you will be rewarded in the long run, no matter the difficulties.

My mom was the 13th of 14 children. She was a kid during the 60’s and 70’s so there was a lot that contributed to her family’s lack of wealth. My grandmother didn’t work because she had to take care of all my aunts and uncles when they were little. My grandfather worked at Niagara Mohawk which didn’t exactly but bread of gold on the table. They didn’t much as kids. My mother told me that she would baby sit y uncles friends children for 50 cents a night per child. They had 3 kids and she baby sat for 10 hours a day sometimes. I can only imagine how difficult that was for her. She was very smart in school and put herself through college with her own earning. She obtained her degree in nursing and is now a Registered Nurse at Bare Hill Correctional Facility. She is happy with her life and said that she wouldn’t have changed anything she ever did.

My dad also came from a poor family. He was the 4th of 6 kids. He lived on a dairy farm until her went to college. He told me he would get up at 4:30 in the morning to do chores on the farm before school. He would then go to school and practice. After a long day he would come home and do chores until he went to bed. The thing is he didn’t get paid because my papa needed him. My dad said he never complained because he understood the situation well. He didn’t have much as a kid either. He too put himself through college while playing basketball. He told me he worked security at night at his college for extra money. He got his Bachelors Degree in Aquatic Science. He now is the head of Recreation at Bare Hill Correctional Facility. He loves his job because it’s something he wanted to do.

My parents inspire me with their tear dropping stories of how hard they worked when they were kids and what they had to do to get through everything and still focus on what they wanted. I now realize that hard work isn’t ever a walk in the park, but seeing what my parents have become despite their childhood difficulties, anything is possible with a little hard work. If you want it bad enough, you will work hard to get it. “Hard work never has a bad day.”