Words Can Hurt

Stephanie - malone, New York

“I can’t wait to see you.” “I miss you so much.” Famous words of someone who lives away from home. We’ve all heard them. But do they mean as much to you as they did to me?

I was 4 years old when my father left. I remember very little about him. As I grew up he came around very little. He would call from Syracuse and tell me he was coming home for a visit. The day he was suppose to show I would sit on the porch steps all day waiting for him to show, just like any 6 or 7 year old would who loved their father more then anything and he meant everything to them. He would never show and I would cry myself to sleep every time. This was a once or twice a year thing. As you continue to grow you just stop crying, stop listening to the lies, and stop giving hope that one of these times he would actually show up. When I turned 12 or 13 my father moved back to Malone to live. Nothing could have made me happier. I missed him so much and spent the entire summer living with him. My dreams finally came true. My father was back in my life. So I’m sure by now you are thinking oh her “I believe “quote must be “miracles can happen “. Well think again. As soon as I was happy and had my father back in my life he decided to move away again. It will be 4 years in August sense the last time I have seen or heard my father’s voice. This has made me a stronger person and more independent.

I have learned to accept the fact that my father isn’t a part of my life and never will be. I believe that “words can hurt “coming from the one’s you love the most.