Relationships Matter Most

Sarah - Malone, New York

The happiest people are usually those who have close and meaningful relationships with their friends and family. Having good relationships with my friends and family has given me a new sense of comfort and happiness, especially during the past year of my life. I value them more than anything else and have learned how to make them strong, even when it may be difficult.

My first three years of high school were very frustrating and were made up of fights with my parents. A few years ago, I was very care-free and rarely considered the consequences that would follow my actions. I consistently did exactly what my parents told me not to which created a lot of arguments. I was so focused on being independent that I was always getting into trouble. Most of the time I was grounded and had to stay home, which was the exact opposite of what I really wanted.

I also became less close with my friends because I thought my boyfriend had to be the center of my attention. I lost touch with a lot of my friends because he became the focus of my life. When I think back to that time, I only remember it as being very boring, spending any free minute when I wasn’t grounded with him, even though I didn’t want to.

Now as a senior, my family and friends mean more to me than anything. Having them close has made my life so much more enjoyable and a lot easier to deal with when I’m faced with difficult decisions. I’m thankful for the past three years because I’ve learned a lot. I can deal with almost any tough situation because of the love and support they have given to me. I believe I close and meaningful relationships because they’ve made my life so much easier and happier.