Felicia - Mesa, Arizona

I have gained a lot of knowledge from my mother. Not only have the life and moral lectures been helpful, I’ve also learned a lot from just listening to the stories of her life and her experiences. My mom has gone through a lot, as a child and even as I grew up. Her childhood was eventful but she remained strong. Her mother kicked her out of the house at seventeen because she was pregnant with me. After I was born, her life changed forever. She now had responsibilities that she was determined to take care of. My biological father did not stick around. She wasn’t able to experience the college life or party with her friends. Instead she stayed with my brother Trent and me and would do anything to keep us safe and happy. She’s been married twice and has dated others but, sadly, she has yet to find “the one”.

Her first husband, Richard, was an alcoholic. Their marriage did not last long because my mom didn’t like how he would go out and drink with his friends and would never stay home with his family. So my mother left him and moved on with her life, searching for something more.

My mother’s second husband, Dexter, was abusive and she was with him for four years. My brother and I witnessed the physical abuse, and although we were young, we knew it was wrong. My mom did whatever she could to keep us safe, even if it meant sending us back to Oregon to live with our dad, when he was still alive. Dexter threatened to kill my mom if she were to leave, but one day, while Trent and I were in Oregon, she had to courage to stand up, walk away (safely, I might add), and never look back.

My mother is a smart and strong woman. She knew that staying with either of them would put her own happiness, as well as her children, at risk and she couldn’t do it. What I love about my mom is that she does not dwell on the bad for too long. She doesn’t regrets anything. She loves her two children and would do anything to make sure they were safe and happy. She always sought to look ahead, to find happiness. She will not settle for less than what she wants or thinks she deserves. And this applies to all aspects, not just relationships. Even now she is moving forward, searching for love and strives to move up in her career. She will not stop until she is satisfied and completely happy. And for that… she is my hero. I believe that watching and hearing about her experiences has made me into a smarter, stronger, and an independent woman. Because of her, I will seek what makes me happy and not settle for anything less. Her story encourages me to move forward and be the best I can be.