Bleeding Heart

Ryan - Malone, New York

I believe in being a Bleeding Heart. I’ve been one since I was a young kid and my parents taught me to be that way everyday for the rest of my life. A Bleeding heart is someone that won’t give anyone a hard time and always a help to others. To me this is something I couldn’t ask more. This trait will never leave my side and it will have to take a lot of something for me to lose it.

My friends have asked me time after time why I’m always so nice and that you never really show a anger management side. “It’s simple”. Is always my first reply. Then giving them a answer of why I don’t. I’ve been taught that if you want respect, then you have to give respect to others around you. Turns out it really works. I have good friends and good friendships with each and everyone of them. They also acknowledge me as a person to come to seek advice. Being a Bleeding Heart also gives me a power of loyalty. I always tell the best advice I can, and never tell a soul to others about it. It gains me a lot of trust for others. And its really cool in my mind. With being a Bleeding Heart has taught me really how to be compassionate to others as well. Yeah I know that us guys really don’t show a lot of compassion, but really when I see that some of my friends are in pain, stressed, or depressed about something. It’s always my instinct to try and help the best way I can. I hate seeing my friends going in a downward spiral. That is really bugging them. Honestly is another trait that really shows what kind of a person that I can be. I would never lie to anyone that asks me a question that I believe is funny and stupid or that is really black and deep. I just don’t think its in my genes to tell major lies to others. Also responsibility plays a big role in my life as well. I care about my work in school and the well being of others in my life as well as finishing my education for high school. If I didn’t care about that, then I have no idea what would happen. Really don’t care to find out. I never would have thought that being a Bleeding Heart can get you all these traits that you don’t think that you have, but really you do.

It’s not just the people at that see this. People within my extended family can see these traits as well. Or it doesn’t even have to be a family member. I had people comment me on my nicely deeds anywhere I go and I don’t even realize it myself to tell you the truth. Teachers always have the same comments every year about me on my progress reports and report cards “Should be commended for positive attitude”, “Pleasure to have in class”. Never fails to see those comments all 4 quarters. Makes me feel good. Because really I can’t picture myself being a opposite from what I am. Maybe its easier to others that really don’t care for me that much, but I don’t care. I don’t let that get the best of me.

But really the only disadvantage that I have with being a Bleeding Heart is this. Some people see this trait and just love to take the advantage over you when you least expect it. Trust me this has happened plenty of times in my lifetime so far. And really it will probably happen even more when my life goes on, but I’m going to do everything I can to stop it. Because your always going to have people life that out there. Sure they may not look like it but they do a pretty good job to hide it. Just a warning to others out there. DON’T fall for it. At least I’m glad to have get to known people and friends that wont take advantage of me.

A Bleeding Heart is something that I am proud to have and nothing will ever change that. I have to really say thanks to my parents that have taught me to be this way. But mostly I have to thank myself really. Because if I didn’t take this advice, who knows where I could be right now. A school drop out, on the streets, in jail. Like I said before, don’t care to find out. You have only one life to live. Sure you do get second chances. But some second chances are more hard than others, but you have to put your best step forward and do what is right to get that second chance you have been waiting to get. And sure to some people this really doesn’t come into play as being a bleeding heart kind of person. I believe that everyone should try it once in their life.