I believe in a Good Walk

Ian - North Bangor, New York

Beliefs are something we make. They are ideas we follow. They are self advice to help us through life. Advice created by the things we do. I believe in a good walk. A good walk to me is liberating. It helps ease stress or tension. It’s a get away method. But it happens unexpectedly. Though when its happening you can tell.

A good walk doesn’t just happen; it has to have something lead toward it. What leads me is when I wake up around nine-thirty in the morning and I’m just automatically awake. You know when your eyes just open fully and you’re instantly awake. Then I get up and go into the kitchen to make a rare nice breakfast. And as in eating I notice how nice it looks outside. So when I’m done my breakfast I step outside barefoot on my driveway to analyze the weather. The heat under my feet from the concrete caused by the sun, clear sky, and birds chirping indicate that the weather conditions are beautiful. That’s when I decide to go for a walk. I put on my favorite shirt, my favorite shorts, my shoes and I‘m good to go. I never where boots on a walk, unless its winter time, because boots to me symbolize work and I like to feel relax and not tense. I step out the door, walking down my driveway to the street. I’m walking down route 11 with my skateboard in my right hand, not because I’m going to ride it the whole time. Just to take it along. And I have headphones on with my music playing. Calm music, not heavy music that drives you wild. Just something smooth and quiet that helps me enjoys the day more. I get to the corner on County Route 53. As a car turns onto the road. I’m walking down noticing everything around me. Seeing the trees move at the cemetery. The cloud in the sky that’s shaped like a dog. I’m half way down the road and its eleven A.M.; the sun is peaking through the trees. A chipmunk just climbed up the tree. I get three forth of the way and now it’s just me and the hill to Eleven B. I put my skateboard on the ground, my foot on the back of the board and push off. At this point nothing matters. It’s just me and the road. Slowly I’m picking up speed, and I feel everything. The wind is hitting my face, all I hear are the wheels spinning and the song playing at that moment. My mind is blank and there isn’t one thought on my mind. Just taking in everything that is happening at that time and place. There is no time. I finally reach the bottom of the hill and at the end of the road. I turn to the left and go to Keli’s Deli to get a Pepsi. I walk out and just sit at the curb watching the cars go by, taking small drinks. Finally I get up to walk back down the same road and head home.

One of the nice things about a good walk is that there is never a destination. You could walk anywhere. You don’t know where you’re walking, you’re just walking, and that’s all that matters. Who knows when you’re going to turn back, what path you will take? Or even where you walk. Who knows who you will meet and if they join you. Where ever it is, by the time you turn around to head back, you at peace and no longer on edge. This is why I believe in a good walk. To get away from everything and anything.