Respect

Hannah - Ohio
Themes: respect

As soon as I was old enough to understand, I was always taught to respect one another. Respecting each other thoughts and ideas is something I deeply believe in, even if I do not fully agree with someone else’s perceptions. Everyone is an individual human being, and along with that title comes unique feeling and emotions. Respecting those feelings is an important aspect of life and something we all owe to one another. People have different opinions, views, and approaches to life. Each family forms a set of concepts for life and it’s very apparent in our complicated world that not every family believes in the same things. Therefore, respecting one another is the only reasonable way to move along through life without as many complications.

Ever since I was a young toddler, I have always heard the line “Respect your elders.” I used to think to myself why should I respect someone just because of an age? Especially my older brother, what did he know that I didn’t? Two years could not mean that much as far as I am concerned. As I have grown older I have come to the realization that maybe it’s not the age as a number that I am respecting, but in fact the amount of years my elders have been around to understand life. My brother has helped me with life more than a handful of times. Being in this world and seeing situations with your own eyes, can prepare you more than anyone would ever expect. We all come across different obstacles within time and respecting one another’s experience in life should be a lesson to all. No one can know exactly every single step that every person has been through in life, and so we should respect each other’s grounds consequently.

Not only is it important to respect our elders, yet also it’s important to respect one another’s personal space. This also goes along with respecting others history, background, religion, beliefs, thoughts, ideas and more. Just as I strongly believe in respect, someone might believe in something totally different. As a result I can only respect their beliefs and thoughts. It’s the simplest ideas, like respect, that can get us through life as happier people. Putting ourselves in “someone else’s shoes” can change a world of views. Treat others as you would want to be treated, is the golden rule of life, and it is the key to many doors. That is what I believe.