individuality

Sam - Chateaugay, New York

I never realized how hard it would be to write a this I believe essay. When I asked people for ideas on this essay everyone gave me a different answer. That made me realize how I believe in being an individual and being yourself.

Being individual means that there are qualities that distinguish you from others. Everyone’s not the same. What a crowded world we would be living in if Christopher Columbus hadn’t discovered America, or if the Wright brothers hadn’t invented the first airplane. A lot of other people have broken the mold to make outstanding discoveries and change how we live today, in the music industry people such as Elvis and the Beatles changed what music we listen to now. Some people think of being different as a bad thing and try to change so they won’t stand out, Bette Midler once said, “I didn’t belong as a kid, and that always bothered me. If only I’d known that one day my differentness would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier.” Everyone has their own personality, people need to have fun and not worry about what other people think, they’d be a lot happier if they were to just be themselves. It’s not always easy but nothing that’s worth doing is.

People become parts of large social groups to define themselves and become part of a stereotype, a stereotype is just a fist impression and those aren’t always right, individuality is the key to life.