The Change That Is Needed

Fletcher - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

The Change That Is Needed

I believe in America. We as a country have come so far since we started back in 1776. The truth of the matter is that we had ourselves a very bitter sweet start for our nation. There are many things that were uplifting about the start to our nation such as religious freedom and becoming a nation of our own. But we also hold many skeletons in our closet that still rear their ugly head, such as slavery and all the oppression of minorities such as African Americans, Chinese, and Indians and the list just goes on. There are so many things that have been done that if at all possible I would give anything to undo.

This is a very exciting period of time for our country right now; we have just elected our first African American President. We can say we have overcome so much in the past fifty years it is just breath taking. If you asked an African American man fifty years ago when he thought we would have a black man for a president he would probably laugh and say never in his lifetime. Which it makes me proud of the American people to have been able to overcome their differences and just see that man for the good president he would be and not for his skin color. Of course racism is still going to rear its ugly head, but we just have to keep putting one foot in front of another and try to never look back.

You think about Martin Luther King Jr. and how proud he would be of the man that will soon be in the office, and how he paved the path for men like himself to become successful and prosper in this wonderful country. Martin Luther King Jr. is a prime example of the racism and blind hate that some people in this country have. On that April morning in 1968 when Martin Luther King Jr. was shot it was heard around the world. The hatred and oppression tried to hold down minorities, but the fact is there are changes coming, and they will be for the better for this country.

An example of the hate that is still running strong in this country is that there are people talking about assassinating Barrack Obama. It kills me to think that there are people stupid enough to even really care about skin color right now. Being that we are in a deficit, we don’t have the time to go and be racist.

We have to start to live in this country and a family and not strangers and work together, hand in hand not because of the color of our skin but simply because we are Americans and this is the land of the free. I know as a country we can do this. I believe in America.