Todd - malone, New York
Themes: sports

The only way to be successful in football is to work like a team. You could be the best runningback in the league but unless the other 10 guys on the team are doing their job, you won’t succeed. Blockers have to be consistent with getting their blocking assignments in order for that runningback to get the first down. I believe that teamwork is the main ingredient to having a successful football team. One of John Wooden’s famous quotes was, “The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.” This basically means that each athlete needs to play their hearts out to complete the first step in having a decent football team.

Our football team didn’t have the greatest season but when we figured out that we needed to become “one”, we created wonders throughout different games of the season. One of our better games was when we went against the north country’s most talked about runningback, Curtis Dukes. Averaging 125 yards a game, we held the 6’2 monster to just 50 yards. We came together as a team and shut him down. That was our goal that whole week and as a team we achieved it by putting aside our differences and telling ourselves that we can do it. After ending their 5-year losing streak last year, we defeated St. Lawrence Central 42-0 this season because we as a team wanted to do it. Our first playoff game in three years was lost but not without a fight. After losing to Beekmantown 52-21, we came together as a team and came real close to winning that game. We ended up losing 32-19 but we played our hearts out. The movie “Miracle” got us stoked and ready to play. We made very few mistakes but for that one night they were the better team.

Of course losing never feels good and when you finally come together as a team at the end of he season, it hurts real deep. Working like a team means that whether win or lose you stay together always. On the gridiron you can’t fall apart. If one teammate is falling down, it is your responsibility to encourage him and get him back on track. For this reason, a team is like a family and may have little arguments but as long as they stay together then there is no way to demolish that bond. Football isn’t a one man sport because if it was, you wouldn’t need the other 10 guys to drive you forward. Because that’s what a team does; pushes one another forward and if one goes down, he’s helped up. As long as you finish the game together, you have fulfilled the criteria of a team; this I believe.