Anything Can Happen

Brandon - Malone, New York

I was about 11 years old. It was one summer back when I was playing Moose Baseball. It was the first game of the summer. It was very hot outside that day and coach decided to break the news to me that he wanted to try me out on the pitcher’s mound that game. I was scared, nervous, and afraid to screw up. I was also excited though, because I had never pitched in a game before and I thought it would be fun. I used to pitch all the time with my dad in the backyard and I had always wanted to be a pitcher. So I walked out onto the mound, my dad was cheering me on the whole time, that’s when the nerves really hit. As I was standing on the mound my hands started to sweat and get all clammy, they felt like I had just pulled them out of a bucket of hot water. My glove felt so heavy in my hands, I almost told coach to take me out. But then the ump yelled “Play Ball!” and it was time. I threw the first pitch, right down the middle of the plate, strike one. That was a major relief, definitely calmed me down quite a bit. So the inning went on, but not for very long, I only threw 8 more pitches, all strikes. I had just pitched a perfect inning, 9 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 strikeouts. I jumped up and yelled and the crowd was cheering for me, it was a great experience. Before that day I considered myself a bad pitcher, in fact, I still do, I don’t even play baseball anymore. But that just goes to show that you don’t have to be a pro or an expert at what you do to make something quite incredible happen. I never pitched another game in my life, and I think that’s probably a good thing because I’m sure I’ve lost my touch since that game. So this made me believe that anything can happen, no matter the circumstances or the odds against you. Life is unpredictable, it will never be fully understood, unexpected things always happen. Of course I went back to playing the outfield for the rest of the summer, and after the summer was over, I never played baseball again. So I only pitched 9 innings in my life, all of them were strikes, I think that is pretty good by many standards.