Inner Strength

Spencer - Boca Raton, Florida

Inner Strength

I believe in inner strength. When life gives you opportunities and you fall flat on your face, inner strength is what picks you up and keeps you going.

When I received my acceptance letter in the mail I was ecstatic. I knew my essays were knockout and my credentials would fit perfectly within the organization. I had just been admitted to the National Youth Advisory Board (NYAB) of the Souper Bowl of Caring (SBC). SBC is a youth led movement that has collected over $50,000,000 in financial donations and canned goods since 1990. I was to be one of thirteen members on the NYAB that represented over 200,000 participating youth. The opportunity was everything I ever could have asked for. It was a great way to gain leadership experience and make a difference in my community.

To make a long story short, I didn’t. I folded under pressure when people questioned my beliefs. When one person didn’t want to help me I get discouraged and moped. I didn’t follow leads (like collecting at Wal-Mart) that would have increased my gains. Don’t get me wrong, I did make progress. I collected cans at my church and on Christmas I delivered the food to the migrant workers. I also trick or treated for cans on Halloween. Even though these acts are commendable I should have done more. I should not have been too scared to ask my school to participate. I should have called other churches in the community to see if they wanted to participate. I should have just tried my best and not worried what people said.

Good thing I have a God that helps me when I fall.

Each year a NYAB member was chosen to be the single youth representative on the adult National Advisory Board. I desired greatly to be that one youth but I knew I had to give it my all in the meeting to even have a shot. I knew that other members had done more in terms of financial gain, but I knew that I could bring an element of inspiration if I was elected to that position. To my surprise I won, and when I served I shone. Everyone was impressed with the maturity that a seventeen year old could posses. I often addressed problems better then the adults that had served on the board for many years. Had I not gone through the experience of failing, I wouldn’t have had the courage to even apply for the position.

To this day I still believe that there were four or five youth that had accomplished more than I did. But even though they collected more donations than I, my peers saw me fit to represent them. That is why I believe in inner strength. Now I know that when I mess up, I still have the abilities to make active progress in my life.