When I was 16

Matt - Winter Garden, Florida

When I was 16 I was hit on my bicycle in a hit and run by a stray car that had lost control on a dirt road near my home. I had no means of communication or the coordination to control my actions since I was suffering from a severe concussion. I lay there wondering if I was going to be able to gather the strength to move or if anyone would come and rescue me. I am not saying that I was in mortal peril, but I was still in need of some dire medical attention or the circumstances would’ve worsened. I inevitably passed out from the sweltering pain on my temple only to awake much later to the kindness of two strangers; Mr. & Mrs. Hill.

They were jogging along the path and had discovered me unconscious and helpless on the side of the road. I can’t say what prompted them to help me and not the individual who hit me, whether he/she was too busy, a sociopath, or simply frightened into believing they had committed manslaughter, save for the sympathy in their hearts that they chose to pursuit. I was given the chance to spend more time with the Hills to find out that they were charity workers (ironic and deus-ex as that may seem). They helped the homeless in their spare time and when I prompted them “Why?” they humbled me with the fact that at one point in their lives they had nothing only to receive the help of those who had pushed aside their instinctual “lack of concern.” That day changed my perception of people as a whole. I had never met anyone as altruistic as these two and so I believed that people were selfish and pessimistic. This experience changed my beliefs on the nature of man dramatically. Never would I have thought that two random strangers would save me from a ditch. So to this day, I believe that every person has the capacity to do good deedsl, even me, and that without each other we are alone in this world.