The Strength to Continue

Craig - Oviedo, Florida

I believe in the strength to continue. I believe that even when times are hard, you have to work your hardest to make it through life. Last year, when my father was working two jobs to help support our family and pay for the mortgage and make everything seem fine. I took it for granted that we would always have money. He always said that we did not have money so I could not buy this or that, but I always felt as if he were joking.

I started to find letters to banks about not being able to pay debt on time and contracts to pay back family members. That was when I noticed how bad our financial situation was. I began to realize why my parents had worked so hard. It helped show me that you need to work hard in life because it is not a walk in a park. It was a big reality check for me to show my parents that all their hard work will pay off.

This turned me into a new person, I wanted to work hard at everything and succeed at anything I do no matter what. I didn’t want to go through what my parents are going through with all the debt. I became more independent and started to do things for myself rather than have someone do it for me no matter how hard it was. Everyone has the strength in themselves to make it past any obstacle. My parents showed me that no matter how hard life can be, you can get past it.

It really shook me up at how I needed to help out my family during this period of our economy. Seeing my parents taking on extra jobs to help pay off debts really made me realize how I need to step up as an adult and take on responsibilities of my own. I decided to try and take care of things such as bills and make money on my own and become an independent. I didn’t want to have my parents worry about trying to support me when they had bigger things to worry about such as keeping a roof over our heads.

When I was struggling in some classes, I just remembered how hard my parents had to work to make sure I have a good life. So I just thought to myself that if I can not even do well in High school then how will I do in college? I picked it up, studied hard and was able to graduate near the top of my class. I was surprised at the potential I had in myself. No matter what life throws at you, if you work hard you will succeed everyone has the strength in themselves to keep moving in life.