Minds Creativity

Michael - Seville, Florida

Where is the creativity in the minds of today is youth? Did it run away or just simply vanish? It seems to me that the young mind of today’s generation has no originality. I believe that the creativity of the youth is being removed, starting during the earliest processes of learning, Public Schools, the scientifically proven worst time to remove education from a persons life seeing that we learn better when we are younger.

I believe what caused a majority of the lack of creativity in the young minds of today was the removal of elective classes such as the musical programs, art programs, and drama programs. I believe that the kids in Pre-K should just be able to play around with instruments like the maracas, the triangle, the bongo drums, the cymbals, and all of the other smaller instruments without anyone telling them what to play, just playing out of the pure enjoyment and satisfaction of their hearts, just making noise. Then in Kindergarten the kids should be able to play instruments like the recorders and the xylophones, and be taught little songs like “Three Blind Mice” and “Hot Cross Buns” and be taught the musical notes so they can play them and spell out the song so to say. For instance, they should know the “Every Good Boy Does Fine” layout, also known as the E-G-B-D-F layout. That way they can somewhat grasp an understanding of the basics. Then they should get a “Fun Day Friday” where they get to do whatever they want to do on the instruments, as well as a “Fun Day Monday” which is basically “Fun Day Friday” but on Monday. Then in the first grade the students should only get “Fun Day Friday”, and the rest of the week they should learn basic and essential theory for music playing while learning more advanced songs such as “Mary had a Little Lamb” and “Bah-Bah Black Sheep”. “Fun Day Friday” should still be given to the children but only for good behavior when it comes to any grade after that. I believe that enjoying what you learn is a must for the best results.

Recess is being removed from the Public School Systems as well, which is one thing that I believe is vital to a kid’s education and creativity. To much work becomes a burden on kids, and they should be allowed a little down time. I do believe that this comes in handy as leverage for teachers; because they could threaten the student’s by recess time by saying that if they don’t have good behavior, they don’t get recess. This not only improves the students creativity by letting them play, but also allows them to gain a respect for rules and molds them, building better character and enlightening them with moral values.