This I believe

Anthony - citrus springs, Florida
Themes: afterlife

I believe that my grandfather played the biggest part of my life. I also believe he lived a great life while upholding good intentions. With the death of my grandfather I believe his sprit serves are a guardian watching over the family.

A few weeks ago, a man by the name of Sonny H passed away. He was a US air force B-26 pilot and a father to four. He wasn’t just a courageous individual, but a grandpa to four unique grandchildren. I was a lucky one; I grew up around him and his words of advice. I might have heard the same stories for the last eighteen years, but he would never miss a detail. Every day he would drive me to Holy Family elementary school. After I graduated Holy Family, I started to lose my faith, I told myself that, perhaps there was no God or it was just a made up story.

It wasn’t until a couple weeks into my first year of college that I regained my faith. I flew into New York to attend the funeral; the priest there said grandpa was now in a better place without pain or fear. I believed him. I believe he lived everyday to the fullest he could, and that he made the most of his life. Of course, people live on in stories and photos, but I believe your sprit is reborn. Time does not cease to exist for anyone. I believe that grandpa now has a new job watching over his family.

While attending the wake, my Aunt read aloud a story about my grandfather. She brought up the good times and funny moments that we all shared. She also mentioned the times when we all spent in Florida, and when grandma and grandpa traveled the world. What hit me the hardest was when my aunt brought up my relationship with him. My grandfather was there for me more than my own father was. He was a smart man with a big heart. At times, he was tough on me, but only because he wanted me to try my hardest.

As time goes on and we experience new events, we never forget the people who played an important role in our lives. I do believe he is happy once, and I also believe his sprit will forever live on. My grandfather was a brilliant man who always had something to say. I hope one day I become just half the man he was.

This essay is my own original work written for this class. If I used an idea from a source, though the essay does not require sources, I have given the author credit.