I want my A.R.T.

Michelle - DeLeon Springs, Florida

I believe that all students should have the chance to take an art history/appreciation class. I believe all students will benefit from taking one class that teaches art history.

In my senior year of high the opportunity arose for me to take an advanced placement art history class, and it changed my life forever. In taking that class, I found my passion in life.

I found that I love learning about art, and its history, why it was painted, where it came from, who painted it, and all those tiny details about the piece itself. I found it was fascinating to learn about these painting and the actual painters themselves. I think all students should get this opportunity to learn these things.

Most schools are taking art programs out of schools, due to lack of funding, and decline in interest from the students themselves.

I on the other hand, believe in taking an art appreciation class, students will learn appreciate the art they are creating. Student will learn how art went from the Lascaux caving paintings, of hybrid animals, and handprints, all the way to the surrealism of Salvador Dali, and dada movement of Marcel Duchamp before him. Art appreciation allows student to see things as they have never seen them before.

For example, while studying Greek in my own art history class, I began to see the influence and innovations of the Greeks all around us. From columns, to column capitals, and the beauty in which they sculpted, pieces like, Discobolus (Discus Thrower) and Doryphorus (Spear Bearer). I was able to see in the Greek era alone just how far humans came the cave paintings.

All students should have the same opportunity that I had. It is only fair. Because of art history I know what I want to do with my life. Art history has become my passion. Being able to go to museums, and see ancient works of art, and newer ones to is something that you will never fully accept until you learn about them.

I want everyone to have Artemisia Gentileschi, Rivera (Diego), and Titian.