Shanna - Princeton, Kentucky
Themes: hope

I believe in “rolling with the punches.” To me this is a way of life that consists of an optimist’s outlook. You have to be able to see the bright side of things and do the best with the cards that life has delt you. This philosophy has brought me through some though times in my life. When I lost my job due to the plant closing, I decided to further my education in order to be more employable in the future. I could have gotten depressed and just gone on to another low paying job but I took hold of this situation as an opportunity to improve my life. Other people often question me about how I can be so cheerful, especially when things are not going well in my life. I can’t really explain it to them except to say, “When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.” I believe that worrying and stressing about my situation is unproductive. If I can fix a problem, I do. If I can’t fix it then stressing about it will have no effect and so is a waste of time and energy. A cousin of mine once told my, “If you can’t pay your bills, what are they going to do, they can’t eat you.” I interpreted this to mean that they can take away tangible things but they can’t really hurt you physically. I either get busy or get over it, my life is that simple. I’m not sure where this attitude has come from; I don’t know anyone else in my family that thinks as I do. My mother used to tell people that trouble rolled off me like water off of a ducks back. Other people tell me that I am a lot like my grandmother who died when I was five years old. While optimism is a choice, it may also be wired into my brain genetically. Regardless of how I came about this ability, I wish everyone could approach their problems in this manner. Rolling with the punches will give you a longer, healthier, and happier life in my opinion.