Aesthetics of iPods

Mary Ann - Fontana, California

I believe iPods can create a different perception of the world. I am the type of person you see with head phones always plugged into their ears. When I walk around I enjoy seeing people interacting, cars driving, dogs barking, and the calmness of the whole world that surrounds me, watching me. I notice the beauty of the mountains under the bright blue sky, and feel the windy breeze flow through my hair. I like to hear people’s discussions, but I love even more to hear nothing of what they say. I find beauty in a silent voice.

The most reflective and poetic place to become a witness to this experience would be the park. Once I plug my addiction into my ears, the tunes begin to ring into and transform my normal life into a muted world. The day is filled with fluffy white clouds gliding under the clear baby blue sky, highlighting the tall bright green trees. There are little kids playing on the jungle gym, adults running the course, teenagers sitting at tables, and lovers sitting at individual benches. Seeing all this and taking in the tunes of my music while it flows with the beats of my steps, I arrive to the spot that is just as familiar to me as my own bed. I spread out my blanket and sit down, watching everyone’s motion continue with the flow of my music. Letting my mind drift into my conscience, I become soothed. Everyone’s motions tell me something about myself. With the muted environment, the blowing of the wind against the green trees, the crawling of the ants, the birds flying in the distance and the movements of all these lives combined with the lyrics and rhythm of the instruments, everything seems complete.

I have learned to appreciate each sight I see, each sound I hear, each scent I smell, and each feeling I feel. The setting of the sun, the smell of the grass, trees, plants, and this beautiful noise in my ears- I could never feel anything better. Each experience could be agitated if one of the sensory perceptions is set off. In this moment I feel that my whole inner self is complete. I feel as if I am doing something right, and I begin to forget about my whole life, who I am and what I should be doing with my life, and just relax. I then lay down, stare up at the sky and begin to drift into my own little world, dazed by all the passion I bring towards this moment. The music puts me into a trance and I feel as if I am asleep. This sleep seems like it takes me into an assortment of situations where I can reflect and just lay there taking in all I can and hoping for more.