The Power of Difficultly

Eric - Clearwater, Florida

I believe that life should be difficult. Growing up in the notorious streets of Oakland, life was tough. I lived with my family in a small apartment complex that was surrounded by a fence with barbed wires. I felt isolated from the world. Having fun outside such as playing tag would be interrupted by gunfire in the streets. It was impossible to feel safe with all the drug dealers all around the neighborhood. Kept in the prison known as my home, it was difficult for me to deal with the fact that I can easily disappear from the face of the earth just for playing tag or going to school.

Life should be difficult because it can produce beneficial habits. Growing up I have experience taking many tests; some I had to study more than others. The experience of struggling on difficult tests has allowed me to form good study habits. I have learned how to study more effectively, and I can tolerate a much longer duration. As a result, I am much better equipped than someone who has never had a difficult test. This can relate to almost anything. When something was difficult, it made me perform at my best because I exerted more effort to accomplish that goal.

Life may be difficult in different ways. I often saw commercials on television about children of other countries who did not have money to buy food, clothes to wear, or houses to sleep in. It was difficult for me to see such terrible lifestyles. It made me more aware of my own lifestyle and affected my actions and views of life. For instance, I am a very picky eater. It makes me feel bad that I would only eat certain things, while the people struggling to survive would probably eat anything. But after seeing difficult things like this, it makes me feel more grateful for what I have. Difficulty presented itself as guilt in this situation, but it may be in the form of many other things, like uncertainty.

I feel that everyone should have some degree of difficulty within his or her life because it can improve the overall quality of life. When I overcome difficulty, I feel more confident in my abilities and more motivated to take on a bigger goal or task. For example, when I first learned how to ride a car, I was terrified about driving on the freeway. I believed that it was going to be too difficult for me. But as I progressed, I got better at driving, and as a result, the freeway became place for me to drive. I became much more open to tasks and do not limit myself.

It is important that everyone should have his or her difficulties to deal with. Having difficulties to overcome is an important aspect one has to master. Difficulties are limitations, and people should learn how to break these barriers.