Living Unscripted

Edward - Orlando, Florida

My dream is to become a famous and successful screenwriter, and all it takes is a good story. Now a good story is usually a simple process; it starts with an introduction of the setting, the characters, and a problem. The main character confronts the problem, which reaches a climax, and then comes to a conclusion. One day I might create a great story, and I will do whatever it takes to make sure that it is made right, but who could say when or if that will ever happen. I’m not exactly counting on being rich and famous, but it’s not like I have a Plan B. To have a Plan B you have to have a Plan A, and I refuse to create a plan for my life. I believe that the story of my life will be best told without a script.

You see, my grandparents went to and met at Penn State, so did my aunt and uncle, and so did my other aunt and uncle. Also following in my grandparent’s footsteps, as of last year, would be two of my cousins, my brother, and my dad. With all this Penn State face time and encouragement, I started to dream of becoming another Peetz Penn State graduate. I fell in love with the campus, the town, the students, and of course, the football. Then one day about a year ago I came home from school and found an acceptance letter to Penn State, Penn State Altoona that is. I was devastated, it was time to throw away the only plan for my life that I had settled on, but I knew that I hadn’t done enough to make it happen.

That big fat “no thanks” from your number one school is a real wake up call, and different people take it different ways. The lesson learned for me wasn’t that I needed to work harder. You get what you deserve, I’ve always believed that. In any sense of the word, you get what you work for. That was something my parents, particularly my dad, had taught me by example. What I found out that day was; when you have plans and you settle on them, you can never be prepared for the moment when they have to change.

Never in my life, until recently, could I have guessed that I would be a Film major at UCF, but right now it is what I really enjoy doing. Two years from now I could be up at Penn State working on a business degree, or out in Hollywood making hit movies, but I won’t rule out any possibility. My story could be a happy one, it could be heartbreakingly sad, it could even action packed and scary, but one thing I’m sure of is that I’ll never know what’s going to happen in the next scene. I don’t want to know, that makes it a whole lot less interesting.