Sizing Up My Existence

Clare - Santa Rosa, California

Sizing Up My Existence

I believe in the soul. I hold agnostic religious beliefs and to me the soul is the one entity I can truly believe in. It’s the little voice in the back of my head that tries to communicate the best ways to make a difficult decision, cope with grief, or to simply choose between what is morally right and wrong. The only problem is that being a human, I often choose the path that will lead me to immediate gratification, and I ignore the innate wisdom that wants the best for me in the long run. This philosophy has also helped me find acceptance in the fact that I will die someday. Because I believe that my soul will live on after my death, only to carry on the wisdom that it has gained from its life as a human being, I don’t feel like I’ll really be gone. My body will decompose and my life here will be over, but my eternal spirit still lives on, and I believe that spirit is much greater than me here on Earth.

I came to my philosophy after wondering if we are all alone in this world. True, we are all that we have on this Earth, but we have our souls to help us along the way, acting as an internal companion in times of need. Without this innate knowledge, or our “conscience,” I believe that living a human life would be much more difficult. I think that my soul has lived one, or perhaps many, different lives before me, though I know I can’t recall them. Being that this is the first life my soul has lived as me, it’s trying to adjust to the way that I do things just as much as I’m trying to cope with ways to let my soul help guide me in difficult times. Obviously I can’t know everything about this, I’m reaching into infinite territory that human beings do not, and most likely won’t, know anything about. But for my time on this planet as myself, I’ve chosen not to fear death, to trust in my guiding conscience, and to find an alternate belief that allows my soul to live on.