Illegal Immigration

Megan - washington, New Jersey
Themes: immigrant

America has always stood for freedom, and represented a new and better life. Unfortunately, in recent years, we haven’t been able to offer that life to everyone due to immigration quotas. Acquiring citizenship has become more difficult to obtain, so there has been a steady increase of illegal immigrants entering the United States. I believe Illegal immigration should be stopped because it breaks a fundamental moral that we base our country on: fairness.

The enforcement that ceases illegal immigration has not been as effective as it should be for the past few centuries. We need to figure out a way to strengthen the border between the United States, Mexico, and Canada. Not only are the Illegal immigrants coming here and taking jobs from the lower class of America, but they are diminishing the state’s welfare account. Our economy is already in a state of despair, and providing for the illegal immigrants is just weakening the economy more. There are programs that are helping the illegal immigration in America, but more needs to be done. A wall between our country and the bordering countries is in the process of being built, but we need to create more jobs in border security. A group also needs to be created to gather the illegal immigrants that are in the country today. I believe this will ultimately help our nation decrease the amount of illegal immigrants.

In the 1920’s, when my great- grandparents came over from Ireland and Germany, there were certain requirements needed for legal citizenship. A skill or trade was mandatory so the American government knew what they were capable of. They also needed to have a letter from their future employer. This was to make sure the new immigrants actually had a job and weren’t lying. They also needed a sponsor vouch for them, to secure a home. Without the sponsor, the immigrant may wonder the streets homeless. In addition, they needed to pass all the medical examinations and a test about America’s history to become a legal citizen. My grandparent’s love for American freedom made them respect the process they had to go through to achieve citizenship; I believe should respect the process. Although I do understand that becoming a citizen is a long and drawn out process, and some people just don’t have the time. Currently the cost to become a citizen is pricey, so if it wasn’t as expensive, more of the illegal immigrants already in the country may be more apt to start the process of obtaining legal citizenship. They may be as eager as my great- grandparents, but since the process is long, and expensive, they disregard it. Once they are in America, they still need to pursue becoming a legal citizen.

Once this country manages border patrol better, they must fund more programs for the detection of illegal immigrants already in the country. I strongly believe that not only will the economy get better but jobs for the lower class will become available.