I believe

Cliff - USA

During my eighteen years living on this earth, I have noticed that my lifestyle is not an adopted form, but a self-imposed. I believe that the choices I make today affect my future life. I also believe that those choices, were influenced by my past choices and experiences. Science calls these invasions adolescence and puberty, but I see it as experimental growth. During these years, I found myself phasing and shifting through different personalities until I found my center. I believe that this awakening was brought on by learning from my past mistakes and making sure that they are never repeated.

Throughout my high school life, I behaved rather radically and misbehaved on a normal basis. I would cut and fall asleep in my classes, arrive late to school daily and even start fights with students. My social life was the main attraction for me; my grades and attitude reflected the sacrifices to make it. I had minimal respect for my teachers and high respect for my friends. My parents of course, did not see eye-to-eye on what I felt was important. They wanted me to behave, get good grades and respect my teachers. All I wanted was to enjoy high school and hang out with my friends. The arguments that could be heard down the block from my house and they weren’t enough for me to change my habits. I felt like I was free from all guilt and responsibility; my friends were going to be there for me for the rest of my days. I was wrong.

In my senior year of high school, it hit me. My best friend became my worst enemy. The rest of my friends started to show their true colors; in time I became alone. My isolation made me realize that I trusted too much and that not everyone I befriend is going to be there for me. My mind-set changed, so did the people in my life.

Along with my mentality, my personality changed. I became relaxed, more tolerant, and focused on what I wanted to do with my life. I realized that the choices I made about my future had to be made during the present. I started paying attention in my classes, had respect for education and those who provided it. A sudden inspiration to become a teacher came hit me. I felt I had a calling to educate students and help them learn about themselves.

To develop into a teacher has become my goal. I felt that my experiences would influence the choices I made in the present and those choices would reflect my future. I want my choices to focus on only positive things that directly involve a future career. I know that if I did not adopt this belief and made it a part of who I am today, I would not even be attending St. Leo University. That is what I truly believe.