Kelly - Ponte Vedra, Florida

I believe in music. I believe music can heal anything. Any feelings or emotions, I believe music can help. One may not know it or even care, but in more ways than one, music can get you through the day. As a horribly shy and lonely kid, I would frequently find myself listening to music or even playing music when I couldn’t understand why kids my age wouldn’t want to hang out with me. It’s not like I didn’t want to talk to them, it was because I had no confidence. At the age of 14 I decided to take up guitar, I thought that if I could learn how to play an instrument, I could fit in somewhere in high school. Everyone loves music, and I had seen how people react to music. Reactions were almost always good, so I figured that guitar would help me go in the right direction. For years I practiced. It was magical how I felt when playing a song I was passionate about. Playing guitar could turn the worst days to better days. Releasing frustration into a song is just like ranting to a friend, and my guitar was my closest friend. In tenth grade, I decided to play my high school’s Battle of the Bands as a guitarist and singer. My family couldn’t believe it and neither could my few friends. I practiced and practiced till finally the day came. When getting on stage in front of my peers and my family, I did not feel anxious or shy, I felt like I could take on the world. People would later come up to me and tell me what a completely different person I was on stage. It’s true; I think performing music brings out either the best or worst in people. In my case it was the best. The boost in confidence and courage in myself days and years later cannot be measured. It’s like I did a complete 180 in my social skills. I have more friends than I can count and my confidence gets me in social situations that I would never dream of attending. Now, when I’m in the car, I turn on the radio and listen to the songs. It always brings a smile to my face to know that I changed my life because of them.