With Failure Comes Success

Zachary - Chesapeake, Virginia

With Failure Comes Success

When I am rowing I am flawless. Clean hand heights, smooth slide, and power through the water. Not a single thought of failure streams through my head. Everything is perfect. I have learned from the mistakes I have made in the past, and have become a great rower. Failing makes me strive to become a better rower, a better person, and in the end makes me feel better about myself. I believe that failure is essential to success.

Failure is often a form of discouragement, but it is important in the long-term goal of succeeding. I believe that when people fail to achieve a goal, they should try even harder the next time to reach it. When I am rowing the only things that I think of are the mistakes I have made in the past. I think of the times I have let go of the oar, the times I have miscounted my rhythm, the times that I have gotten lazy and tired and let my technique fall apart. Perfection is everything in rowing and it takes a lot of failure to get there.

These mistakes from my past have taught me that I cannot just walk away knowing I have lost. When a person learns that failing is an unnacceptable answer, he applies it to more than just one aspect of his life. When I tought myslef to not give up in a race, I realized that my life outside of crew had become more successful. I give myself high expectations and I never give up on anything.

Failure defines how people live their lives. Only when people give up do they fail. They like to think of failure as a loss rather than a win; that it is a one way street from which there is no return. This kind of attitude leads their thoughts to become reality. When someone gives up hope in a situation, they diminish the chances of getting it right the next time. Quitting is not the answer to getting past any obstacle that lies in the way of succeeding. Crew tought me to never give up and that I can do anything. I strive for success with every aspect of my life and never give up.

Aristotle once said, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” We live by what we have learned from our past mistakes.