The Waiting Game

Meghin - Antioch, Illinois

Patience is my best kept secret to success. Waiting for the right moment and seizing it with all my heart is the best course of action. Memories hold the greatest lessons. The past holds the keys to the future and present. By combining lessons from the past and using composure, I learned to ignore impulsiveness and maliciousness. The irony was that I did not want to learn patience; patience was forced upon me by my passion for music.

I accidentally started a rivalry that would consume most of my high school music career despite my efforts to escape it. I did not know that I had a rival until she declared it to me one day during my freshman year. My “rival” was a scary person. She wanted every solo, every piccolo part, and every first part. If she was not principal chair, she would be breathing fire down the director’s neck. The band room became a place of terror instead of a sanctuary. It was better to let her have her way even though no one else was getting performing experience. It was not fair, but there was nothing anyone could do about it. I was stubborn enough to keep trying even though I knew where the part was going. Rejection had become a way of life. Still, I kept waiting and learning from every mistake I made. I decided to perfect myself and accept constructive criticism. No matter how exhausted and frustrated I became, I bided my time. Someday I would get my chance to blossom.

College finally came and I was accepted into one of my favorite schools. To be honest, all of the other universities had rejected me. I thought I was doomed from January to April. On the second to last week of April, I received the envelope I had been dreading. It was small. Apparently small envelopes mean an apologetic rejection letter. That was how all the other schools were. This letter was odd because it began with a schedule of required classes. It went on to congratulate me on being a great musician for Ball State. I was so excited. All of the tears and sleepless nights had finally paid off. I finally had my chance to do all the activities I had dreamed of accomplishing. The best part, I might add, is that I don’t have a rival anymore!

I believe that patience and discipline saved my dream. Ball State has been a place where I have been able to thrive. For a long time I was afraid that college would be the grown up version of my high school experience. Actually it has been quite the opposite. I am in two great ensembles. I have the professor of my dreams. For the first time in ten years, I am in my element. Of course I have not lost sight. A musician’s life is tough. With the discipline and patience I have mastered, I will survive and succeed.