This i believe in true love

Rachel - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: family, love

This I believe in true love. My parents have been together for twenty years. They met at Butcher Jones Beach. When they tell me the story of meeting and getting married and having a kid. I do think that they moved pretty quickly. Others may think, so quickly that it might not have lasted. But I guess when you meet the right person, your other half, then you know. My parents met when my mom was eighteen and my dad was twenty-four. My parents were dating only months before they got engaged. My mom was married at nineteen and had me at twenty. When my parents had me, we lived in an apartment, then shortly after that we moved into a house. I could see how much my parents love each other. I see it when they look at each other, when they laugh, talk and smile. But when I was younger I remember not having the best childhood. Growing up with your parents fighting almost every night because my dad would come home drunk again is not the greatest thing in the world. My mom started getting sick and tired of the same old, my dad gets drunk, comes home and they fight routine. Even though my parents fought a lot I still new that they loved each other. They had to right, if they stayed together. I remember hearing them argue, sitting on the couch and start crying. I was little, I didn’t want my parents to yell at each other. But they would always see I was crying, come over and tell me “its ok, were just upset, we still love each other.” I believed them, they were my parents they loved me, they loved each other. One night I guess my mom had had enough. She told my dad that if he didn’t stop drinking like he was, that she was going to leave him. I remember standing in front of the door the night my mom told him that and begging him not to leave. I guess it just hit him hard that if he didn’t step it up and stop drinking that he was going to lose his family. I was lucky enough to have a father that actually loved and cared so much about his family, that he stopped drinking like he did. He loved us enough, to give up alcohol. I look back now and see that they could have got a divorce, my family could have split up. But I see that true love was what kept them together, they love each other so much that they didn’t give up, didn’t let the tough times bring them down and ruin what they have. I believe true love is hard, it’s not like a fairy tale dream, it takes works, commitment, and compromise. I do see that my parents marriage was not that great in the beginning. But their love for each other, for me, for my younger brother is what kept them together, their wanting to be together. My parents worked hard for their marriage, that is what I would do. This is what I want for me. I am not saying I want to marry a man who would go out drinking frequently, and almost get divorced. I am saying that I want to one day find true love. You want to know what the amazing thing is? I am for certain that I already have.