I Believe In Reading

Christi - North Plains, Oregon

I believe reading increases your vocabulary. It actually forces you to learn more vocabulary whether you notice it or not. You use context clues to figure out that one word you really don’t understand. Then when you do get the word, it makes the story a bit more affective. Reading also allows you to keep your imagination. Lots of times, when people get older they think that imaginative stories are for little kids. But are they really?

I love to read and use my imagination as a thirteen year old. A large amount of books are fictional, but most authors do a really good job of making you feel like you are in the story. It is really easy to get hooked on a book after the first few chapters. I especially get hooked on the ‘Twilight’ series. It just pulled me in and I couldn’t stop reading. You feel like you are there with the characters, its amazing how easily you can lose track of time while reading.

To be honest I use to really dislike reading, but once I found books that kept my attention I read more. That’s when I started improving my way of writing. My vocabulary was also benefited, making my writing more interesting. I even started to quote from books, even though I didn’t realize I was most of time. But mostly, reading others writing helped me write my own papers. It was almost like an example, which is extremely helpful for a visual learner like me. When I read it often triggers ideas for my essays or stories.

When I think about the times when I didn’t read, I was actually kind of inconsiderate. I mean when I think about it there are many people in the world who hardly know how to read, and I could read fluently enough and chose not to read. It was throwing away an opportunity that not everyone gets. That’s when I finally came to my senses and decided to find material I enjoyed reading, instead of just reading what my parents or older siblings suggested.

But it is still fun to read books that your friends read because then you can discuss the parts you disliked and liked. That is actually really fun to do, and I often discuss books with my friends. Still I can only imagine two English teachers having a discussion about books, it would be filled with words I haven’t even heard of. I’m sure many people passing by would just look confused with their mouths wide open. Which is why I tend to not talk to many teachers about books, but I’m working at that.

Reading is really fantastic, you can do it just about anywhere, and it is always different. Which is why I finally came to my senses, to take the opportunity to read, because in the long run it will help me. Maybe someday I will even be able to talk to one of teachers about a book.