True Friends

Zane - Orange City, Florida

I heard a saying once that I have found to be true recently. Over the past six months, it has had more and more meaning to me. This saying is simple; you do not truly know a person until you live with them. When I first heard this, I thought it was meaningless. That someone just made it up because they had a bad experience in their life. Now I am beginning to see the truth in it. In fact, it is starting to become a belief of mine.

I came to this realization this year, after I moved out of the house and started college. I decided to move into an apartment with a couple of my friends that I knew from high school or at least thought I knew. I thought they were like me at first going to college to study and learn so they could make something out of their life. I even thought we had similar interest, like playing video games, reading and studying. However, I soon learned that they were only there to party. At first, everything was fine. We hung out together and joked around as we always did. This was what I thought their normal selves were. Then they started showing me their true colors. They began to drink often. It got to the point that they were just leaving there beer cans lying around the apartment. I would wake up, go out into the main room, and be hit with this nasty wave of sweaty, warm beer stench. They started to have a party almost every week. I do not know about you but I find it somewhat hard to sleep when you have a bunch of drunken fools walking around your apartment late at night. Then it began to escalate even further. They started doing illegal drugs and the party started getting worst and worst. I even began to see that they were probably never really my friends. This came as a surprise to me, even know it probably should not have. I started to think about my other friends who I have known for many years and believe to be my best friends and I realized that they would never have this much of disrespect for me.

I am now currently looking to get out of me lease to get away from them so I can focus more on school and not have to worry about the drunken fools. However, I have learned an important lesson from this and I have adopted a new belief, that you do not really know someone until you live with him or her.