Soul Mate

Meggy - Noblesville, Indiana
Themes: love

I believe everyone has a soul mate. I believe there is one person out there for everyone. One person who connects to you on every level and loves you for all that you are. This person is somehow exactly like you even if you have differences. I believe a soul mate is a person who connects to one’s soul.

Throughout the 19 years of my life, I have met many different people. I have been friends with these people, I’ve dated these people, and some have just been people that I smile to in the hallway or on the street. Aside from my family though, no one has ever connected to me. I never felt that longing to be with someone every moment with one of these people. I never felt that need to share all my secrets with any of these people. On several occasions, I tried to make myself believe that I had found my soul mate and that I was in love, but deep down inside, I knew I was wrong. Then one random day, during the summer before my senior year of high school, I found my soul mate.

It was during summer band practice. My director had called the band to attention and was trying to fix a line in the set of drill that we were on. Since I was in the color guard, I stood at resting position and talked with my friends. As I was casually spinning my flag and joking with the girls next to me, my eye caught sight of a boy in the drum line. He was looking at me and smiling. When he noticed that I was looking at him, he froze completely still and turned his head the other way. I started laughing and yelled to the boy, “Hey drummer boy I see you looking at me ” He turned his gaze back to me and gave me the biggest smile I had ever seen. My heart fluttered rapidly in my chest. This had never happened before. I had never felt this many butterflies dancing in my stomach. I thought this boy was going to make me faint with his smile. I knew right then and there that he was my soul mate.

Ever since that fateful day 16 months ago, that boy, named Ray, and I have been inseparable. We just connect on so many levels. We spend as much time together as possible and keep in constant contact with each other through the phone. We never get tired or sick of each other. We always have something to talk about and share with one another. He truly is my soul mate and I know that if for some strange reason we broke up, I know that we would be best friends for the rest of our lives. Of course I want to be more than friends, but if worse comes to worse, we will always be connected somehow. This is why I believe in soul mates.